Guidelines to Submit an ArticleWant your article to get noticed.... follow these guidelines
FloridaSmart is built on the awesomeness and expertise of those who live and work in Florida. We are a community for Floridians and Florida business owners to share information about this Fabulous State.
What we are looking for
We accept contributed articles on anything and everything Florida! We are not looking for the ordinary and typical blog posts or articles. We want your experiences, your expertise, your humor. Something that has not already been published that is unique and engaging. We try to avoid negativity, though we understand that news can sometimes be anything but positive, we do strive to keep it positive.
When submitting content, it is best to choose a topic which you have expertise, sources to backup any facts. You may include personal opinion or experience provided it is stated that way. We want you to submit articles that show your expertise to help promote your business, blog or organization. For example, real estate agents, submit articles about the area you serve or real estate news in Florida. If you have a blog, submit unique content that is similar to what you blog about. You get the idea. We are here to help you promote your business and expertise by sharing and showcasing your work on our platform.
Our Readers Love Lists
Listicles are an extremely popular way of presenting content to our readers. Lists tend to keep readers engaged and interested. Consider whether your content should be written as an article or list. For example, if you have insider tips for avoiding long ride lines at Disney World, it would very likely be better written as a listicle presented as “10 insider tips to avoid long ride lines at Disney” in order to engage more readers.
So what are you waiting for? Join the FloridaSmart community and share what you know.
Here’s how it works
- Submit a guest post here
- If we decide to publish it, we will follow up and let you know your article has been approved and will be published.
- If we don’t think it is something our readers will love, we will let you know and you can give it another shot. If for some reason you do not hear from us within 60 days, this means your article was not approved.
- Submit your own original content that you think others will love to read or know. Do not submit someone else’s work or work that you have posted on another website. Our editors will check your content against what exists on the web for copyright infringement and we will not accept content that does not pass our stringent search.
- If you are citing sources, use quality sources where the facts can be verified.
- Do not submit false or misleading information.
- All submission should be between 500 – 1500 words using a high standard of English grammar. Listicles should have a minimum of 30 words per list item plus an intro paragraph.
- No profanity (unless it is a quote from a source, in which case we will obscure parts of the words).
- No porn.
- No haters or trollers. Do not submit content that is meant to deliberately antagonize, attack or hurt others.
- No outgoing links behind keywords or spammy practices.
- You agree that all submitted content is co-owned by FloridaSmart and FloridaSmart has full rights to use, post, re-post and utilize the content forever. You agree FloridaSmart holds the canonical rights to the article. You agree not to repost or re-spin any articles that are submitted to FloridaSmart.
So what about backlinks?
FloridaSmart is a reputable media site where our guest blogs must provide content that is new, interesting and relevant. We do not want blogs that are generic just to gain a backlink. We do not allow spammy submissions whose sole purpose is to grow backlinks on as many sites as possible. We are picky about our content and will only accept it with a relevant backlink. We will allow one backlink on a well written engaging article that is relevant and uses the backlink integrated into the content. For example, if you write an article about going to Disney World and link to a clothing blog that has no Disney items, it will not be even considered. However, if you sell Disney items on your store or you have a blog about Disney, you can link to your website from your article about Disney provided you mention the site you are linking to and it flows within the content of the article. If you are considering adding a specific link within the content of your article, it is best to provide more then one to multiple helpful pages. In this example, you can also provide a link to the Official Disney Store site or to a specific Downtown Disney store. Again, any backlink must be relevant and flow within the content.
Link to you as the Author
When you submit an article, we will allow you to add a footnote at the end of the article that includes “information about the writer” with a link to your website. When you submit your article, include this information so we can add it to the end of the article. If you become a regular writer, you will receive a profile page on FloridaSmart where your articles will list your name at the top with a link to a profile page where you can tell more about yourself and include a link to your website and social accounts.
Note to agencies submitting content for their clients
We encourage agencies to submit quality content by researching and following our guidelines. You can submit content and list your client as the author or “submitted by” in the footer of the article in order to receive a link to their site. What we recommend is adding content about things to do and see or informational content about the area the business is located. Or adding any content that is relevant and fun about Florida and mentioning that “business xyz” recommends it, or cover their expertise and topic in relation to doing business in Florida, etc.
- If you are submitting an Article or Listicle and you have your own images that you took with your own camera and you own the copyrights to the images, you can include them with the Article or Listicle submission. We do not promise to use them, but we will consider them. We will not accept submitted images from other sources that is not referenced and CC0 (creative commons with zero restrictions for use)
- Don’t worry, if you do not have the images, our editors will add images from one of our image partners. If you are doing a list that includes links back to a page or youtube video, you can include the image with the source listed below the image in your content.
- Any images that you send that are your own copyrighted images, must be sent with all rights granted for use on our website, social sites and any other media associated with our website or content granting unrestricted and unlimited usage.
When you submit content, you acknowledge that you have read and agree to our user agreement and privacy policies posted on floridasmart.com.
Due to a large number of submissions we receive, we may not get back to every submitter if your article is not accepted. Please do not take it personally and feel free to submit another article or re-submit your re-worked article after 30 days. There is no guarantee of acceptance and we will not negotiate or discuss rejected submissions.
Reasons we may not publish your submissions:
- Similar posts elsewhere on the web
- Content is not unique
- Subject is already covered on this site
- Not enticing enough to excite readers
- Too many errors
- Poor grammar
- Spammy practices or too many or irrelevant outgoing links
- No sources provided for factual content
- Wrong time of year for submission
- Defaming Remarks or Opinions
- Talking down to readers
- Plagiarism Spam – too many submissions in one day or week. Please limit your submissions to 5 per week unless you receive prior approval.
FloridaSmart is all about people sharing their stories, sharing their knowledge and sharing their tidbits of information to help other Floridians and travelers find the best information from those who are truly in the know.
Share Your Florida Passion. For more information on Writing with Us, Click Here.